Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Дата
Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2015-05-29 18:02:36 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Well, I think we ought to take at least a few weeks to try to do a bit
>> of code review and clean up what we can from the open items list.
>
> Why? A large portion of the input required to go from beta towards a
> release is from actual users. To see when things break, what confuses
> them and such.

I have two concerns:

1. I'm concerned that once we release beta, any idea about reverting a
feature or fixing something that is broken will get harder, because
people will say "well, we can't do that after we've released a beta".
I confess to particularly wanting a solution to the item listed as
"custom-join has no way to construct Plan nodes of child Path nodes",
the history of which I'll avoid recapitulating until I'm sure I can do
it while maintaining my blood pressure at safe levels.

2. Also, if we're going to make significant multixact-related changes
to 9.5 to try to improve reliability, as you proposed on the other
thread, then it would be nice to do that before beta, so that it gets
tested.  Of course, someone is bound to point out that we could make
those changes in time for beta2, and people could test that.  But in
practice I think that'll just mean that stuff is only out there for
let's say 2 months before we put it in a major release, which ain't
much.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Re: [GENERAL] 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1
Сообщение: Re: Re: [GENERAL] 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1