Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On May 29, 2015 8:56:40 PM PDT, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
>wrote:
>> On 2015-05-29 18:02:36 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Well, I think we ought to take at least a few weeks to try to do a
>bit
>>> of code review and clean up what we can from the open items list.
>>
>> Why? A large portion of the input required to go from beta towards a
>> release is from actual users. To see when things break, what confuses
>> them and such.
>
>I have two concerns:
>
>1. I'm concerned that once we release beta, any idea about reverting a
>feature or fixing something that is broken will get harder, because
>people will say "well, we can't do that after we've released a beta".
>I confess to particularly wanting a solution to the item listed as
>"custom-join has no way to construct Plan nodes of child Path nodes",
>the history of which I'll avoid recapitulating until I'm sure I can do
>it while maintaining my blood pressure at safe levels.

I think we should just document that this a beta and that changes are to be expected. And have a release candidate once
that'snot the case.

I agree that it'd be very good of the custom join issue gets fixed. But I don't see a beta prohibiting it.
Independentlyfrom that in going to ask a Citus colleague to make sure that pg-shard can use this.

>2. Also, if we're going to make significant multixact-related changes
>to 9.5 to try to improve reliability, as you proposed on the other
>thread, then it would be nice to do that before beta, so that it gets
>tested.  Of course, someone is bound to point out that we could make
>those changes in time for beta2, and people could test that.  But in
>practice I think that'll just mean that stuff is only out there for
>let's say 2 months before we put it in a major release, which ain't
>much.

There seems to be enough other stuff in die need of testing that I don't think that's sufficient cause, even though I
understandthe sentiment.

Andres

---
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.

Сообщение: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release