Re: New mailing list?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: New mailing list?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2014 01:12 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> On 06/19/2014 11:16 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>>> Hi folks
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to apply for a new mailing list hosted on the .org
>>> infrastructure, a project list "bdr-users", for the bi-directional
>>> replication project.
>>
>> hmm why would we need a mailinglist for a specific feature, we dont have
>> lists for other features either. So what would be "on topic" on that
>> list that does not fit others?
>
> BDR is on track to be a feature in PostgreSQL core - in 9.5 or 9.6 - and
> parts have been merged already.
>
> However, the patch is ready for real world use now, and requires only
> very minimal changes to 9.4 - sufficiently so that it'll shortly have a
> script to just convert a 9.4 datadir for use with the BDR patch, or vice
> versa.
>
> Given the level of user interest I've been seeing I'd like to have
> somewhere for users to communicate about it, discuss it, report issues,
> etc, so that we have a much more solid feature for merging into 9.5 and
> 9.6. I'm aware of people who intend to put this into production, not
> just test with it, so there'll be more than just some chat about it on
> -hackers.

We've traditionally shied away from having per-feature mailing lists
as they end up fragmenting discussion, and typically most of the
interested parties are on both lists anyway. In a (very) recent
discussion on -core on the topic of having feature lists, it was very
clear that it is not something the majority of us want to do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company