Re: New mailing list?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: New mailing list?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 06/20/2014 01:12 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 06/19/2014 11:16 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I'm hoping to apply for a new mailing list hosted on the .org
>> infrastructure, a project list "bdr-users", for the bi-directional
>> replication project.
>
> hmm why would we need a mailinglist for a specific feature, we dont have
> lists for other features either. So what would be "on topic" on that
> list that does not fit others?

BDR is on track to be a feature in PostgreSQL core - in 9.5 or 9.6 - and
parts have been merged already.

However, the patch is ready for real world use now, and requires only
very minimal changes to 9.4 - sufficiently so that it'll shortly have a
script to just convert a 9.4 datadir for use with the BDR patch, or vice
versa.

Given the level of user interest I've been seeing I'd like to have
somewhere for users to communicate about it, discuss it, report issues,
etc, so that we have a much more solid feature for merging into 9.5 and
9.6. I'm aware of people who intend to put this into production, not
just test with it, so there'll be more than just some chat about it on
-hackers.

While it's possible to just use -hackers and -general, there'll be a
group of people running a separate patchset and it might get confusing.
Hence the request for a bdr-users list.

Also, -hackers discussion will be more concerned with individual parts
of BDR to be merged, not with the operation of the as-yet-uncommitted
parts. I'm not sure a bunch of extra discussion about BDR would be
entirely welcome, and it might detract from the focus on the bits that
need merging in any given release cycle.

Because this _is_ a feature that's aimed at being 100% merged into
PostgreSQL, and _not_ a "new product" or fork, I'd strongly prefer to
keep any such mailing list on the postgresql.org infrastructure where
it's discoverable and clearly part of PostgreSQL. But, because it's also
likely to take a while to get it fully merged, I'd like to provide
somewhere for people using it to keep an eye on things and discuss it.

Thoughts?