Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [Design update] Style guide for pgAdmin4
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi!

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hello!

Update on alerts
Here are mockups of error and update alert styles, as modeled by bootstrap.

Success messages appear
- after running a query
- adding a database (database connected)

Error messages appear
- after running query
- missing info in dialogs

Let me know if I'm missing any areas that have different styling.

Running a query
success-query.png
error-query.png
I've added rounded corners - it doesn't seem like there are any other areas where sharp corners are used so I think these should be round.

Nice!

Dialog messages
database-error.png
connectserver-error.png

A note about 'connect to server' message. Currently the error appears above where you enter a password. I think all messages should live at the bottom of the dialog, above the buttons.

Agreed. I like the change - though I prefer the version in Figma (below):

Inline image 1

I think it looks more attractive, and is more obviously a "transient element" (for want of a better term) - i.e. something that will go away again. I think we also need to style the error highlighting on the actual field to use the same shades of red.

Update on tools
I played around with Lucidcharts and it seems like the only units available for drawing out shapes are inches or centimeters, neither of which is particularly useful for specifying sizes of buttons, menus etc.

I found Figma, which is a fairly feature robust web app, similar to Sketch and designed for collaboration (it's also free!). Other pros:
- saved asset library for projects (perfect for mocking up future pgAdmin screens w/o the need to recreate assets)
- version control
- link for public access
- generates some CSS from the image

Let me know what you think.

I'll have a play with it. Initial thoughts (after literally 5 minutes) are that it seems like it could be very useful. I particularly like the asset library.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com