Re: Add AIX on the PostgreSQL Download page

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Add AIX on the PostgreSQL Download page
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2021, at 16:10, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/7/21 4:06 AM, REIX, Tony wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am interested in knowing if AIX could be added to the PostgreSQL page
>> https://www.postgresql.org/download/ , either as a link to a PostgreSQL
>> web-site page where instructions can be given and updated about where to
>> get RPMs for AIX and how to install them, plus news about new versions
>> and releases, or a link to a page out of PostgreSQL web-site.
>>
>> We (Bull/ATOS BullFreeware: http://www.bullfreeware.com,  and IBM AIX
>> ToolBox:
>> https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/aix-toolbox-linux-applications-overview)
>> are providing OpenSource packages (inc. PostgreSQL) for AIX under RPM
>> format since ages and we'd like to enable PostgreSQL for AIX to be more
>> visible by PostgreSQL users.
>
> Looking at the available packages[1], it does not appear that all of the
> community supported versions are updated (e.g. the last 9.6 updates were
> in 2018). It also seems that package updates are random -- e.g. there
> was a 13.1 release, and a 13.4 release, which misses several bug fix +
> security releases, and they come out several weeks after the release.

Do we have a strict policy around this?  Some package managers are still at
13.3 ~ a month out and the Fink macOS package manager doesn’t have v13 at all
AFAICT?

The packages in the "primary" section are supposed to be released in sync with our releases, and their packagers are expected to keep in the loop on the -packagers list.

Ones that are released later should either be unlisted, or in the 3rd party section.

> I'd be more open to this if the packages themselves were hosted on
> community infrastructure and were consistent with the rest of the
> packaging projects.

That seems a high bar to cross given that we don’t host macOS, Windows and the
BSD’s today but link to those.

I agree.

> Right now I'm -1 on this; additionally, I'm
> generally -1 to adding more additional offsite links to downloads.

Unrelated but semi-related, if we don’t want new links we should probably
remove the Solaris download link which doesn’t even link to downloadable
packages.

+1

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Add AIX on the PostgreSQL Download page
Сообщение: Re: Add AIX on the PostgreSQL Download page