improvement suggestions

От Aaron Zinman
Тема improvement suggestions
Дата
Re: improvement suggestions  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Re: improvement suggestions  ("J.F. Oster" <jinfroster@mail.ru>)
Список pgadmin-support
Hi PgAdmin team,

I’ve been a faithful user of your product on os x for many years now. I’ve tried many other clients but in the end they all lack some aspect of my workflow that I get out of pgadmin. There have been a few things that have long bothered me that I’d like to suggest to improve significantly the usability.

1. Native text editing.On a mac, the following aren’t supported
a) jumping words via option+left/right
b) jumping to EOL or BOL with cmd-left/right
c) jumping to BOD / EOD with cmd-up/down
d) home/end are mapped to EOL/BOL instead of EOD/BOD (although I quite dislike that about mac apps, so good for me)

2. In many text fields (editing server connection properties, editing the definition of a view), backspace is mapped to some kind of DROP/DELETE or something other than editing text which is dangerous and highly confusing. Really really bad when you’re editing the name of a table and then its asking you if you want to drop it.

3. Resizing windows doesn’t keep toolbars/subwindows with minimum size. You can end up in a case where the toolbar at the top that was visible is now 100% squished or otherwise mutated when you shrink the window size. It should reflow better.

These are otherwise violations of my expected behavior of a mac app. Beyond that, I have a few other requests

4. Columns do not expand size to fit. I often am querying json, where I end up with one column that allows for 10 characters of visibility, and then about 700px of nothing remaining in the window.

5. For the json data type, a better data viewing experience would be great. One suggestion would be to leave it rendered as text like it is, but when you double click on a cell a window pops up that decomposes it into a pretty printed tree.

6. Be able to cmd-/ a highlighted line to (un)comment it with a --

7. When I open a SQL console while an object/function/etc is selected, the text inside is how to create it. That’s (occasionally) helpful. However, if I close it without modifying it, I shouldn’t be asked if I’m sure I don’t want to save it first when I haven’t edited anything inside yet.

I hope this is well received. Thank you!

Aaron

--
aaron zinman, phd :: http://empiric.al :: http://azinman.com