Re: improvement suggestions

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: improvement suggestions
Список pgadmin-support
On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 18:45 -0700, Aaron Zinman wrote:
> Hi PgAdmin team,
>
> I’ve been a faithful user of your product on os x for many years now. I’ve tried many other clients but in the end
theyall lack some aspect of my workflow that I get out of pgadmin. There have been a few things that have long bothered
methat I’d like to suggest to improve significantly the usability.

> 1. Native text editing.On a mac, the following aren’t supported
>     a) jumping words via option+left/right
>     b) jumping to EOL or BOL with cmd-left/right
>     c) jumping to BOD / EOD with cmd-up/down
>     d) home/end are mapped to EOL/BOL instead of EOD/BOD (although I quite dislike that about mac apps, so good for
me)

> 2. In many text fields (editing server connection properties, editing the definition of a view), backspace is mapped
tosome kind of DROP/DELETE or something other than editing text which is dangerous and highly confusing. Really really
badwhen you’re editing the name of a table and then its asking you if you want to drop it.

> 3. Resizing windows doesn’t keep toolbars/subwindows with minimum size. You can end up in a case where the toolbar at
thetop that was visible is now 100% squished or otherwise mutated when you shrink the window size. It should reflow
better.

> These are otherwise violations of my expected behavior of a mac app. Beyond that, I have a few other requests
>
> 4. Columns do not expand size to fit. I often am querying json, where I end up with one column that allows for 10
charactersof visibility, and then about 700px of nothing remaining in the window.

> 5. For the json data type, a better data viewing experience would be great. One suggestion would be to leave it
renderedas text like it is, but when you double click on a cell a window pops up that decomposes it into a pretty
printedtree.

> 6. Be able to cmd-/ a highlighted line to (un)comment it with a --
>
> 7. When I open a SQL console while an object/function/etc is selected, the text inside is how to create it. That’s
(occasionally)helpful. However, if I close it without modifying it, I shouldn’t be asked if I’m sure I don’t want to
saveit first when I haven’t edited anything inside yet.

> I hope this is well received. Thank you!

These seem nice ideas. Care to write a patch on these?

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

От: Guillaume Lelarge
Сообщение: Re: Not connecting to the postgresql server
От: Guillaume Lelarge
Сообщение: Re: Materialized views in pgadmin