Re: improvement suggestions

От J.F. Oster
Тема Re: improvement suggestions
Дата
Re: improvement suggestions  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Список pgadmin-support
Hello,

Friday, May 9, 2014, 7:23:17 PM, Al Chou wrote:

AC> Hear, hear! to all of these points. ═Are the text navigation
AC> keys correctly supported on other OS's? ═Is that why no one has
AC> complained until now (that I know of)?

Both points 1 and 2 seem to be Mac-specific features.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014, 5:45:51 AM, Aaron Zinman wrote:
AZ> 4. Columns do not expand size to fit. I often am querying
AZ> json, where I end up with one column that allows for 10 characters
AZ> of visibility, and then about 700px of nothing remaining in the
AZ> window.

Auto-sizing feature is implemented and afaik will be included in
release 1.19.

AZ> 5. For the json data type, a better data viewing experience
AZ> would be great. One suggestion would be to leave it rendered as
AZ> text like it is, but when you double click on a cell a window pops
AZ> up that decomposes it into a pretty printed tree.

I feel a strong lack of a flexible Data Editor in pgAdmin. Well, Data
Viewer could be a first step. It may be implemented as a popup-window
with several tabs each showing it's representation of a text/blob.
Plaintext, Hexadecimal, XML tree, JSON tree - these are obvious needs.
Further development may introduce some kind of plugins to represent
various text/blob data.
That's solely observations for now... I'd love to hear opinions from
the pgAdmin team.

AZ> 7. When I open a SQL console while an object/function/etc is
AZ> selected, the text inside is how to create it. That▓s
AZ> (occasionally) helpful. However, if I close it without modifying
AZ> it, I shouldn▓t be asked if I▓m sure I don▓t want to save it first
AZ> when I haven▓t edited anything inside yet.

That's the way an option of query editor "Copy SQL from main window to
query tool" is implemented. It makes an initial modification of empty
textarea for you, surely marking it as modified.
If there are no objections, I'll look for how to fix that.

--
Best regards,J.F.