Re: record identical operator

От Steve Singer
Тема Re: record identical operator
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/18/2013 11:39 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Kevin Grittner (kgrittn@ymail.com) wrote:
>> = and <> aren't listed above even though they do a byte-for-byte
>> comparison because, well, I guess because we have chosen to treat
>> two UTF8 strings which produce the same set of glyphs using
>> different bytes as unequal.  :-/
> I tend to side with Andres on this case actually- we're being asked to
> store specific UTF8 bytes by the end user.  That is not the same as
> treating two different numerics which are the same *number* as
> different because they have different binary representations, which is
> entirely an internal-to-postgres consideration.

The problem is that there are datatypes (citext, postgis,...) that have
defined = to return true when comparing two values that are different
not just stored differently.  Are you saying that matview's should
update only when the = operator of the datatype returns false and if
people don't like this behaviour they should fix the datatypes?