Re: How to stop a particular database - reg.

От Andrew Biagioni
Тема Re: How to stop a particular database - reg.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
If you are trying to make more connections available without interrupting the
current users, you can just use "kill" to kill the connections that are
identified as connecting to your test database.  Then, when you have a chance
to restart things without upsetting users, you can update max_connections etc.

I'm using linux, and I execute the following to find connections I want to
terminate (kill):

    ps auxwww | grep "^postgres" | grep -v grep

It's a brute-force method, admittedly, but it works for me.  It's my
understanding - and experience - that PostgreSQL recovers quite well from such
things.

        Andrew

3/19/03 9:01:42 AM, <mallah@trade-india.com> wrote:

>I am marking a Cc to the list.
>lemme know if its invading your privacy.
>

>Is there any particular reason why you cannot increase
>max_connections to the extent your requirements are?
>
>may i know what is the current value  of max_connections
>in postgresql.conf ?
>
>PS: please use reply-all button so that the discussion is archived.
>
>Regds
>Mallah.
>

>> Dear Mallah,
>>          Thank you for you reply.  What I would like to do is to stop or
>> start a particular database.  The problem is this, we have been trying to
use a connection
>> pooling example that was given in the jdbc list.  What happened was there
were more connections
>> that what we had set as the max_connections.  This actually prevented users
of the other
>> database from using postgres as the max_connections set in the postgres conf
has long been
>> exceed by this error in the connection pooling
>> program.  So now what I want to do is to just stop the DB on which we were
testing the
>> connection pooling without disturbing the others.  Hope this clarrifies your
doubts.  Please do
>> let me know if there is any thing else that you would like to know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Shan.
>>
>> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 18:29, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you are trying to make one database inaccesable you may revoke the
permissions from it
>>> temporarily. i hope its allowed in postgresql.
>>>
>>> If you have changed a config parameter and want it to take effect , you may
try pg_ctl reload.

>>> Can you please tell us the original problem
>>> you are trying to solve?
>>>

>>> regds
>>> mallah.

DB.  How do I do