pg_restore new parameter request

От Campbell, Lance
Тема pg_restore new parameter request
Дата
Re: pg_restore new parameter request
Список pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL pg_restore new feature request

I did some testing last week to see how fast I could get pg_restore to reload data.  I found some settings that made a significant speed boost.  One request I have is the addition of two parameters to pg_restore.

--no-indexes

When this parameter is used during a full restore of a database the indexes would not be applied.

--only-indexes

When this parameter is selected during a full restore of a database only the indexes would be applied.

Why have these two flags?

The first parameter allows a full database load to be completed faster by not applying indexes.  For my database this would be a 15% to 20% load improvement.  In a restore situation I could then get the database up and running sooner.  Then apply the indexes once my web applications are back up and running.  Without the indexes the production system would run slower until they were applied but at least I would be up and running.

Thanks for considering adding these parameters to pg_restore.

Lance Campbell

Web Services

University of Illinois