Re: [PERFORM] Vs NULL

От Marc Mamin
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Vs NULL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

>>>Hi

>>>    Hi All
>>>
>>>    We are testing our Oracle compatible business applications on PostgreSQL database,
>>>
>>>    the issue we are facing is <empty string> Vs NULL
>>>
>>>    In Oracle '' (<empty string>) and NULL are treated as NULL
>>>
>>>    but, in PostgreSQL '' <empty string> not treated as NULL
>>>
>>>    I need some implicit way in PostgreSQL where ''<empty string> can be treated as NULL
>
>>It is not possible in PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL respects ANSI SQL standard - Oracle not.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Pavel
>>
>>p.s. theoretically you can overwrite a type operators to support Oracle behave, but you should not be sure about unexpected negative side effects.
>

>A clean way would be to disallow empty strings on the PG side.
>This is somewhat combersome depending on how dynamic your model is
>and add some last on your db though.

hmm, you could also consider disallowing NULLs, i.e. force empty strings.
this may result in a better compatibility although unwise from postgres point of view (see null storage in PG)
and neither way allow a compatibility out of the box:

                    Postgres     ORACLE
'' IS NULL       false           true
NULL || 'foo'   NULL          'foo'

as mention in another post, you need to check/fix your application.

>ALTER TABLE tablename ADD CONSTRAINT tablename_not_empty_ck
>  CHECK (false= (colname1 IS NULL OR colname2 IS NULL OR colname3 IS NULL ...) IS NULL)

oops, this shold be