Re: logging or debugging to report time to establish a database connection

От Scott Ribe
Тема Re: logging or debugging to report time to establish a database connection
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
BTW, just for the heck of it, I decided to try it out on my dev system (several year old 17" MacBook Pro, meaning core
i7processor), PostgreSQL 9.2, pgbouncer 1.5. So, connecting via libpq to postgres directly takes 2-3 ms, connecting to
pgbouncertakes typically 70-150 us, with the occasional outlier at 500+ us--of course that's with a pgbouncer config
witha big enough pool that I never have to wait for a connection to become free.

On Jul 12, 2013, at 9:21 AM, Scott Ribe wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Mike Broers wrote:
>
>> Is there something I am overlooking in postgres logging or psql client switches that would make this information
availableor am I stuck with lower level tools?

> Well, if you want to log how long pgbouncer takes to hand out a connection from a pool, you're certainly not going to
findthat answer anywhere in postgresql logging ;-)

> Unfortunately, it doesn't look to me as though the pgbouncer console will show you exactly that. Maybe using -v or
-vvoptions would help? But yes, average/max/min maybe even stddev of time to hand out a connection would seem to be
informationthat would be good to collect, so perhaps a feature request is in order...

> Of course there will also be overhead in the libraries that will vary from one database manager to another, so in my
opinionthe only way to really benchmark this would be from the client side anyway. Which is maybe what you were
thinkingwhen asking about psql switches? Again, a feature request might be in order--I can think of two possibilities:
1)a command-line verbose-mode switch that would provide details of the connection process, which could be good also for
debuggingconnection problems, showing what host is being attempted, what the resolution (if any) of the host name is,
connectionopened or not, authentication passed or not, and so on; 2) enhancements to the /conninfo command to provide
moredetails.