Re: [ADMIN] Can master and slave on different PG versions?

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Can master and slave on different PG versions?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Oct 10, 2017, at 11:49, rammohan ganapavarapu <rammohanganap@gmail.com> wrote:

I am getting this error when i try to add 9.6 slave to 9.4 master.

< 2017-10-09 22:56:31.081 UTC > FATAL: database files are incompatible with server < 2017-10-09 22:56:31.081 UTC > DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.4, which is not compatible with this version 9.6.1.

Ram

No, you cannot do that with physical streaming replication.  They must be the same major version number. 9.5 -> 9.5.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM, rammohan ganapavarapu
<rammohanganap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to add 9.6 version Slave to 9.4 master?

Standard usage for Slony. I've used it for dozens of upgrades in place
with a few seconds switch over time.  It's not as complex as it first
appears, but test on something other than production please.