Re: Optional Exporting or copying result with (,) as decimal mark

От Jasmin Dizdarevic
Тема Re: Optional Exporting or copying result with (,) as decimal mark
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
This is absolutely the correct way, but I think pgAdmin is the wrong location to handle this. In my opinion the database should handle locales. The COPY command for example also doesn't support other decimal marks. AND it's not always wanted, that the input is locale aware. There has to be an optional parameter or a session based setting. But that's a topic for an other mailing list ;)

I know my patch is just a workaround, but it saves us a lot of time in this particular process.

2011/1/7 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> in pgsql it's not possible to define, that numeric values are returned in
> localized numeric format. In our case (Austria) we use comma as decimal mark
> and not period.
> When opening a pgadmin-exported CSV-File, we have troubles in Excel, because
> it doesn't recognize numeric values properly. We would have to change the
> locale settings in excel so that this works properly.
> This patch enables an option in the query tool tab, where you can decide if
> you like to use comma as decimal mark. It only applies on numeric values.
> It also works, if you copy and paste from the result grid into excel.
> I've done this work to make my people's life at work easier. If it's not
> suitable for a release, please ignore it. In this case I'm going to build
> "our own" version of pgadmin on each release.

It seems to me that the correct way to deal with this is to display
the numerics in a locale-aware fashion, and then copy/paste and export
etc. should just work, *and* the display will be properly localised.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Optional Exporting or copying result with (,) as decimal mark
Сообщение: Re: Optional Exporting or copying result with (,) as decimal mark