Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От சிவகுமார் மா
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Re: MySQL versus Postgres  (Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>)
Re: MySQL versus Postgres  (Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com>)
Re: MySQL versus Postgres  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general
2010/8/7 Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>:
> On 7 Aug 2010, at 5:19, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:
>
>> +1 on this.
>> This is very interesting from the point-of-view of transitioning MySQL webapps to Postgres. The truth is that for a
lotof people, MySQL is their first DB (because of loads of pre-existing software. Refer to my thread "Which
CMS/Ecommerce/shoppingcart"). When we are ready to move to PG, we are already used to the MySQL way of doing things.

As it was happening in the last 10 years, PostgreSQL will slowly
gather more acceptance and MySQL will reduce in popularity down the
years. But, we should help the process along.

1. Almost all webhosting providers have MySQL support, but PostgreSQL
support is available from only a few who also have MySQL support.
Hence MySQL is universal and PostgreSQL is present as also available.

2. Books.
In a book store (where I live), technical sections have SQL, SQL
Server, PHP and MySQL, Oracle racks. There is no PostgreSQL rack.

3. Name
It is difficult to bring up the name in conversation.

To break these circles:

1. Study a typical web hosting set up and work on supporting
everything (Wordpress, Drupal, OS Commerce) with PostgreSQL.
PostgreSQL only servers should be made possible.

2. Bring out more books

a. Documentation is already available (PostgreSQL User Manual,
PostgreSQL Technical Documentation). Re-package them and publish as
books targeting different user levels.

b. Cook Books can be created from the discussions in this mailing list.

c. More PHP+PostgreSQL books should be created. <Professional PHP6>
from Wrox uses PostgreSQL as the default db.

3. The default configuration settings for PostgreSQL are not optimal
for performance. Can there be a recommended configuration file in the
installation (assuming certain amount of RAM and processor type) ?

4. A pet name
Is it possible to have a pet name which can be used in casual
conversation easily?

Ma Sivakumar
http://masivakumar.blogspot.com