Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7 Aug 2010, at 5:19, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:

> +1 on this.
> This is very interesting from the point-of-view of transitioning MySQL webapps to Postgres. The truth is that for a
lotof people, MySQL is their first DB (because of loads of pre-existing software. Refer to my thread "Which
CMS/Ecommerce/shoppingcart"). When we are ready to move to PG, we are already used to the MySQL way of doing things.

Oh gosh, you make me remember my first MySQL experience! I had just started a small company that was starting their
mainproject on a MySQL/PHP environment on Windows. We ran into some trouble with Windows IIRC and the sysadmin was
happierrunning stuff on Linux too, so we switched our early code and database over to Linux. Turns out that in MySQL,
goingfrom a case-insensitive file-system to a case-sensitive one means that all your table names are now case-sensitive
aswell!

That, and the struggle getting MySQL to actually use InnoDB and relational integrity on tables instead of just claiming
thatit did, made it a really easy case for me to convince my colleagues and boss to switch to Postgres. They haven't
lookedback since.

That was back in the days of MySQL 4, but the scars it left are still there. That company has gone bankrupt in the
meantime(core developers moved away), but I run into some of my old colleagues every now and then and they're almost
allstill doing their stuff on Postgres - or at least not on MySQL. One exception is the guy who has to use one of their
real-timeengines for telecommunication, where data-integrity apparently isn't considered critical.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4c5d30a7286211834955988!

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Foreign keys and permissions oddity
От: சிவகுமார் மா
Сообщение: Re: MySQL versus Postgres