Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/08/2010 11:24, சிவகுமார் மா wrote:
> 2010/8/7 Alban Hertroys<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>:
>> On 7 Aug 2010, at 5:19, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on this.
>>> This is very interesting from the point-of-view of transitioning MySQL webapps to Postgres. The truth is that for a
lotof people, MySQL is their first DB (because of loads of pre-existing software. Refer to my thread "Which
CMS/Ecommerce/shoppingcart"). When we are ready to move to PG, we are already used to the MySQL way of doing things.

> As it was happening in the last 10 years, PostgreSQL will slowly
> gather more acceptance and MySQL will reduce in popularity down the
> years. But, we should help the process along.
>
> 1. Almost all webhosting providers have MySQL support, but PostgreSQL
> support is available from only a few who also have MySQL support.
> Hence MySQL is universal and PostgreSQL is present as also available.
>
> 2. Books.
> In a book store (where I live), technical sections have SQL, SQL
> Server, PHP and MySQL, Oracle racks. There is no PostgreSQL rack.
>
> 3. Name
> It is difficult to bring up the name in conversation.
>
> To break these circles:
>
> 1. Study a typical web hosting set up and work on supporting
> everything (Wordpress, Drupal, OS Commerce) with PostgreSQL.
> PostgreSQL only servers should be made possible.
>
> 2. Bring out more books
>
> a. Documentation is already available (PostgreSQL User Manual,
> PostgreSQL Technical Documentation). Re-package them and publish as
> books targeting different user levels.
>
> b. Cook Books can be created from the discussions in this mailing list.
>
> c. More PHP+PostgreSQL books should be created.<Professional PHP6>
> from Wrox uses PostgreSQL as the default db.

Yes, so does "Pro PHP" from Apress, though it doesn't mention PG on the
cover. There was a nice warm glow of "goes without saying..." about it,
as I remember. :-)

> 4. A pet name
> Is it possible to have a pet name which can be used in casual
> conversation easily?

"Postgres" or "PG" are the usual, AIUI.

Ray.

--