Re: A quick warning on the win32 build scripts

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: A quick warning on the win32 build scripts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(Hello, very old thread)

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 16:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
>> The cause turns out to be the automatic .DEF file generation. It skips
>> DEF file generation if a DEF file already exists, even if the
>> object/sources are newer than the existing DEF file.
>
> Um, so can't we fix that?  It seems like a rather basic expectation of a
> build process that it will rebuild dependent files when needed.

Does anybody have an idea of *how* to actually do that?

My first thought was to just generate a DEF file whenever any of the
object files have changed, which could be a simple date comparison.
However, generating the DEF file is *really* expensive and slow, so
this would make rebuilding anything that *doesn't* add or remove an
entrypoint unacceptably slow..

Can someone think of a way to do this without having to dump the list
of exports from each and every object file?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/