Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Дата
Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta  (Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>> I think it just depends on whether we're likely to get releases from
>> Linux vendors that include PG 9.0 but not the updated drivers.  I'm
>> not sure their schedule will be affected by whether we call it 8.5 or
>> 9.0.
>
> that's a fair point (like I expect debian to provide 9.0 as a backport)
> though the packages could just change the default for that backport.
> The precedence for that is standard_conforming_strings which we now have
> for a while(since 8.2 iirc) - though I don't think we have a firm plan
> on when we are actually going to turn it on...
> Not sure if we really need to wait 4 major releases to allow driver
> developers to adapt...
> So one idea would be to turn it off for 9.1 and enable that and scs for
> 9.1 and try to get driver developers attention early in the release cycle.

I think we previously discussed flipping standard_conforming_strings
at the beginning of the 9.1 cycle, and I'm still OK with that.  Not
sure it bears on the present issue, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta