Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/19/2010 11:45 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I meant, wait for the next MAJOR release to turn it on by default.
>>> Changing it in a minor release is clearly a bad idea.
>>
>> I think with this release already being clearly marked as a bit more
>> than the usual major release (9.0 vs 8.5), we can get away with it
>> leaving the default the way it is.
>
> I think it just depends on whether we're likely to get releases from
> Linux vendors that include PG 9.0 but not the updated drivers.  I'm
> not sure their schedule will be affected by whether we call it 8.5 or
> 9.0.

that's a fair point (like I expect debian to provide 9.0 as a backport)
though the packages could just change the default for that backport.
The precedence for that is standard_conforming_strings which we now have
for a while(since 8.2 iirc) - though I don't think we have a firm plan
on when we are actually going to turn it on...
Not sure if we really need to wait 4 major releases to allow driver
developers to adapt...
So one idea would be to turn it off for 9.1 and enable that and scs for
9.1 and try to get driver developers attention early in the release cycle.

Stefan

Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta