Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:05, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu> wrote:
>>> Changing something like that within the minor release arc is
>>> not a good idea. It would be better to have it on by default and
>>> if the driver developers are not up to use it, they can have that
>>> as a setting that they will need to change when going to 9.0. I
>>> would be very upset to have a minor upgrade break my database. At
>>> least the major upgrades have more testing.
>>
>> I meant, wait for the next MAJOR release to turn it on by default.
>> Changing it in a minor release is clearly a bad idea.
>
> I think with this release already being clearly marked as a bit more
> than the usual major release (9.0 vs 8.5), we can get away with it
> leaving the default the way it is.

I think it just depends on whether we're likely to get releases from
Linux vendors that include PG 9.0 but not the updated drivers.  I'm
not sure their schedule will be affected by whether we call it 8.5 or
9.0.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta