Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Дата
Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 15:15, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Do we want to backpatch it into contrib/? Adding a new module there
>> seems kind of wrong - probably better to keep the source separate and
>> just publish the DLL files for people who do debugging?
>
> If this works without changes to core, I see little reason not to
> back-patch it into contrib.  Our primary concern with back-patching is
> to avoid doing things that might break existing installations, but if
> there aren't any core changes, I don't really see how that can be an
> issue here.  It seems to me that it's probably simpler for us and our
> users to keep the debugging tools together with our main tree.
>
> However, I am not clear what benefit we get from moving this into core
> in 9.1.  If it's still going to require a full postmaster restart, the
> GUC you have to change may as well be shared_preload_libraries as a
> new one.

on-by-default is what we gain. I think that's fairly big...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)