Why are some WAL files in pg_xlog symlinks to old files?

От Nigel
Тема Why are some WAL files in pg_xlog symlinks to old files?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

We're running PG 8.3 in a warm standby configuration.  About 3 weeks ago we had to fail over from the primary to the standby.  That worked fine, but we're having problems getting standby mode set up again.  On the standby, everything works fine for a little while: WALs are rsynced over and seem to be getting processed correctly.  But every 65-75 minutes (very regularly), a WAL file is copied that's actually a symlink.  When the standby tries to read an rsynced symlink, it hangs indefinitely, presumably because the target of the link doesn't exist on the standby.

In the primary's pg_xlog, I see the expected WAL files with increasing numbers and recent modification dates, but every 65-75 files there's one of these symlinks. For example:

Sep 28 16:13 0000000300000A5C00000070
Sep 28 16:15 0000000300000A5C00000071
Sep 28 16:12 0000000300000A5C00000072
Sep  5 01:00 0000000300000A5C00000073 -> /srv/db/chdbprod_wal_archives/00000001000009D6000000D6
Sep 28 16:21 0000000300000A5C00000074
Sep 28 16:19 0000000300000A5C00000075

The "/srv/db/chdbprod_wal_archives" directory is where incoming WAL files used to go, back when the current primary server was the standby.  The September 5 date you see above is shortly before the failover was done.  The target of the symlinks is always the same.

pg_xlog also contains a 00000003.history file, which references the target of the symlinks.  Here's its contents:

1       00000001000009D6000000D6        before transaction 0 at 2000-01-01 00:00:00+00

I gather that my problems here are due to having a primary server that was itself formerly a standby, but I'm not sure what action to take.  I don't know enough about how the history files work and what the significance of the symlinks is.  What purpose to the symlinks serve?  Why are they recreated regularly at slighly more than hourly intervals?  Why do they point to a directory that was only used back when the primary was a standby?  (If it makes any difference, back when the primary server was a standby, it was running pg_standby with the -l option.)  Does their presence mean that something's wrong on the primary, or should they be ignored when copying to the standby?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Chris