Re: Add support for logging the current role

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Add support for logging the current role
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> In short, add a bit of overhead at SetUserId time in order to make this
>>> cheap (and accurate) in elog.c.
>
>> As Stephen says, I think this is utterly impractical; those routines
>> can't ever throw any kind of error.
>
> Why would they need to throw an error?  It'd be on the caller's head to
> supply the role name along with OID.  We can keep the name in a static
> buffer of size NAMEDATALEN, so don't tell me about palloc failures
> either.

OK, but there are not a small number of callers of that function, and
they don't necessarily have the correct info at hand.  For example,
you'd need to add prevUserAsText to TransactionStateData, which
doesn't seem appealing.

> The logging design as it stands seems to me to be a Rube Goldberg device
> that is probably going to have corner-case bugs quite aside from its
> possible performance issues.

I think you're overreacting.

--
Robert Haas