Re: Patch to add a primary key using an existing index

От r t
Тема Re: Patch to add a primary key using an existing index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On sön, 2010-11-28 at 20:40 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
>> <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think we need more discussions about the syntax:
>> >  ALTER TABLE table_name ADD PRIMARY KEY (...) WITH (INDEX='index_name')
>>
>> Why not:
>>
>> ALTER TABLE table_name ADD PRIMARY KEY (...) INDEX index_name;
>
> I would think that that determines that name of the index that the
> command creates.  It does not convey that an existing index is to be
> used.

+1 on this being confusing

Well, that'll become clear pretty quickly if you try to use it that
way, but I'm certainly open to other ideas.

Random thoughts:

ALTER TABLE table_name SET PRIMARY KEY INDEX index_name
ALTER INDEX index_name PRIMARY KEY

Other suggestions?

What exactly was the objection to the following -->

ALTER TABLE table_name ADD PRIMARY KEY (column_list) USING index_name;

Is the objection that you might have been trying to specify a constraint named "using" ? I'm willing to make that option more difficult. :-)

Robert Treat