Re: We really ought to do something about O_DIRECT and data=journalled on ext4

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: We really ought to do something about O_DIRECT and data=journalled on ext4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03.12.2010 21:55, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> So, I've been doing some reading about this issue, and I think
> regardless of what other changes we make we should never enable O_DIRECT
> automatically on Linux, and it was a mistake for us to do so in the
> first place.
>
> First, in the Linux docs for open():

The quote on that man page is hilarious:

"The thing that has always disturbed me about O_DIRECT  is  that the whole interface is just stupid, and was probably
designedby a deranged monkey on some serious mind-controlling  substances."              -- Linus

I agree we should not enable it by default. If it's faster on some
circumstances, the admin is free to do the research and enable it, but
defaults need to be safe above all.

Сообщение: Re: Patch to add a primary key using an existing index
Сообщение: Re: Patch to add a primary key using an existing index