Re: Differential backup in database migration

От Alex Balashov
Тема Re: Differential backup in database migration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Huh! I suppose I don’t know; I just assumed it would take a bunch of fragile, error-prone upgrade jumps across major
releasesto get five major releases forward.

I’ll definitely follow up on your suggestion, as it is by far the simplest!

> On Feb 16, 2022, at 7:08 AM, Paul Smith <paul@pscs.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 16/02/2022 11:24, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> I’m faced with the daunting prospect of upgrading a PG 9.6 installation to 14, in the process migrating a ~400 GB
database.Due to the large jump in major versions, the on-disk block storage of course will not be in the slightest bit
binary-compatible,

> How do you know it will not be binary compatible?
>
> I'm fairly sure I've upgraded 9.5 to 14 using pg_upgrade... If you use the 'link' option in pg_upgrade it just takes
afew minutes with databases that big.

> I'd take a backup, put it on a test machine with 9.5 and try to upgrade it. You may be pleasantly surprised
>

> Paul
>

> --
>

> Paul Smith Computer Services
> Tel: 01484 855800
> Vat No: GB 685 6987 53
>
> Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)

Сообщение: Re: Differential backup in database migration
Сообщение: Re: Differential backup in database migration