Re: performance question related to pgsql

От david drummard
Тема Re: performance question related to pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
hi stephen,

thanks very much for the response. Are there any special commands to analyze the index before using the table. If i rename the table, will the indexes still stay with the table  ( i hope so).

best regards
vijay eranti

On 2/10/06, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* david drummard (vijayspam@gmail.com) wrote:
> My question is what is the best way to do step (1) so that after the copy is
> done, the table is fully indexed  and properly balanced and optimized for
> query.
> Should i create indexes before or after import ? I need to do this in
> shortest period of time so that the data is always uptodate. Note that
> incremental updates are not possible since almost every row will be changed
> in the new file.

Create indexes after import, definitely.  analyze after indexes have
been created.  You don't need to vacuum if you're creating a whole new
table each time.  Remember that if you need to adjust analyze parameters
for some reason that you'll need to do that on every table creation as
well.  Using COPY is a good approach.  Not doing incremental updates
when most of the rows are changing also makes sense.

        Thanks,

                Stephen

Сообщение: Re: Is the database being VACUUMed?
Сообщение: Re: Is the database being VACUUMed?