Re: [BUGS] BUG #14825: enum type: unsafe use?

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14825: enum type: unsafe use?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Sep 25, 2017, at 07:55, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Let's ask a couple of users who I think are or have been actually
> hurting on this point. Christophe and David, any opinions?

Since about 90% of what I encounter in this area are automatically-generated migrations, having a clear set of (perhaps
restrictive)rules which never fail is the most important.  It's easy to split the CREATE or ALTERs out into their own
transaction,and leave usage (such as populating a table from a migration) to a second transaction.

It's not clear to me that this is a vote either way, but I think the easiest thing to explain ("you cannot use a new
enumvalue in the same transaction that created it") is the best in this situation.