Re: Hardware performance

От Roman Fail
Тема Re: Hardware performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I've got a Dell 2650 set up with 5 drives and a separate app server connecting with JDBC.  Since you've only got 5
drives,my conclusion regarding the best balance of performance and redundancy was:

2 drives have the OS, swap, and WAL in RAID-1
3 drives have the data in RAID-5

If you can afford it, get the 2+3 split backplane and make the 3 data drives the biggest, fastest you can afford.
Currentlythat means the 15k 73GB drives, which would give you 146GB for data.  Make the OS drives smaller and slower if
youneed to save cash.

If only it had six drive bays....you could use 4 drives for the data and do RAID-10.  If you've got the additional
rackspaceavailable, you could get the 5U Dell 2600 instead for the same ballpark cost.  If you order it with rack
rails,it comes all set up for rack installation...a special sideways faceplate and everything.

By the way, RAID-5 is not the best fault tolerance, RAID-1 or RAID-10 is.  And you can certainly hot-swap RAID-10
arrays. I've actually done it....recently!  I am of the mind that single drives are not an option for production
servers- I just don't need the pain of the server going down at all.  Although they DO go down despite redundancy...I
justhad a SCSI backplane go out in a Dell 6600 that has every bit of redundancy you can order.  While uncommon, the
backplaneis one one of the many single points of failure!

Roman Fail
POS Portal, Inc.