Re: AIX support - alignment issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Дата
Re: AIX support - alignment issues  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Yeah.  I wasn't too sure if that was mostly about "recent" or mostly
> about "all distributions" but it wasn't doing much.  Thanks, pushed.

While we're here ...

+   Code support exists for M68K, M88K, M32R, and SuperH, but these
    architectures are not known to have been tested recently.

I confess great fondness for M68K, having spent a goodly chunk of
the eighties hacking M68K assembly code.  However, of these four
architectures, I fear only SuperH has anything resembling a
detectable pulse.  According to Wikipedia:

* Motorola ended development of M68K in 1994.  The last processors
had clock rates around 75MHz (and this was a CISC architecture,
so instruction rates were a good bit less).  Considering how
depressingly slow my late-90s 360MHz HPPA box is, it's impossible
to believe that anyone wants to run PG on M68K today.

* M88K was introduced in 1988 and discontinued in 1991.  Max clock
rate was apparently somewhere under 100MHz, and in any case it's
hard to believe that any remain alive in the wild.

* M32R ... hard to tell for sure, because Wikipedia's only concrete
info is a link to a 404 page at renasas.com.  But they do say that
the Linux kernel dropped support for it some years ago.

SuperH might be twitching a bit less feebly than these three,
but it seems to be a legacy architecture as well.  Not much
has happened there since the early 2000's AFAICS.

I think it'd be pretty reasonable to disclaim support for
any architecture that doesn't have a representative in our
buildfarm, which would lead to dropping all four of these.
If you don't like it, step up and run a buildfarm animal.

(The same policy could be applied to operating systems,
but it looks like we're good on that side.)