Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Greg Smith wrote:
>
>> Memory detection works on recent (>=2.5) version of Python for Windows
>> now.
>
> I just realized that the provided configuration is really not optimal for
> Windows users because of the known limitations that prevent larger
> shared_buffers settings from being effective on that platform.  I know there
> are some notes on that subject in the archives that I'll look though, but
> I'd appreciate a suggestion for what a good upper-limit for that setting is
> on Windows.  I also wonder whether any of the other parameters have similar
> restrictions on their useful range.

It's going to be of little use to 99% of Windows users anyway as it's
written in Python. What was wrong with C?

FWIW though, in some pgbench tests on XP Pro, on a 4GB machine, 512MB
seemed to be consistently the most effective size (out of tests on
32MB, 512MB and 1GB). There wasn't much between 32 and 512 though - my
suspicion is that 128 or 256 would be similarly effective. I didn't
have time to test that though.

--
Dave Page

Сообщение: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Сообщение: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard