Re: getting count for a specific querry

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: getting count for a specific querry
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Apr 8, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Bob Henkel wrote:

> desktop SATA drive with no RAID? I'm by any means as knowledgeable
> about I/O
> setup as many of you are but my 2 cents wonders if the Dell RAID is
> really
> that much slower than a competitively priced/speced alternative? Would
> Joel's problems just fade away if he wasn't using a Dell RAID?

"Dell RAID" is not one thing.  They sell "altered" RAID cards from
Adaptec and LSI.  Whatever alteration they do to them tends to make
them run not so fast.

I have a Dell SATA RAID (adaptec based) on the office server and it is
OK, though not something I'd buy again.

I have various PERC 3 and PERC 4 RAID controllers on my servers (SCSI
based) and they suck under heavy I/O load.

I wonder why the name-brand LSI cards work so much faster... perhaps it
is the motherboard?  I don't know, and I don't care... :-)  For me,
high performance DB and Dell servers are mutually exclusive.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: getting count for a specific querry
Сообщение: Re: getting count for a specific querry