Re: measure of JDBC performances

От Kovács Péter
Тема Re: measure of JDBC performances
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
> Was the idea to measure the execution time with psql and via
> JDBC wrong?

It is not a wrong idea at all, but I do not think the difference between the
performance of psql and JDBC should be significant. What I am confused about
is the order of magnitude by which MS SQL outperformes PostgreSQL. I tested
PostgreSQL against Oracle, Interbase and Versant (an OODBMS) on Windows 2000
and I found that PostgreSQL was the second best just a bit behind Interbase
and scaled much better than Interbase -- and all this with the Cygwin
version of PostgreSQL which I expect to be inherently slower than a real
"native" version (say on Linux). Performance very much depends on the kind
of tasks you execute (ie. the kind of testcases you apply), but for my
purposes Interbase and PostgreSQL were significantly better than either
Oracle or Versant.

So my guess would be, that the observed huge performance gap between MS SQL
and PostgreSQL can be explained either (1) by the specific way your Java
server tier uses the JDBC connection or (2) some indexing problem (e.g. you
forgot to put an index on a column in one database which is indexed in the
other).

Or you may have a peculiar test case, for which MS SQL is tuned (perhaps by
default) much better than PostgreSQL.

Peter

Сообщение: Re: measure of JDBC performances
Сообщение: Re: measure of JDBC performances