Re: postgres hot-standby questions.

От Graeme B. Bell
Тема Re: postgres hot-standby questions.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> With fully synchronous replication the performance issue is a real killer for us.
> I suppose what I'm wondering is about async normal operation, but sync operation during shutdown.

Replying to myself - but a further thought -

Assuming that you have your server configured with 1 or more hot standbys.
Are there situations where it is smart & sane to allow a controlled (slow, not emergency) shutdown to complete
asynchronouslywithout knowing if any standby got the last bits of wal?

Should a fully async shutdown with a connected standby ever happen?

You've no guarantee the standbys are up to date. Since the server is shutdown, you've no way to ask it and check
withoutlooking at the filesystem directly.
I guess the problem with "eventually consistent" is that during shutdown you know for sure that 'eventually' isn't ever
goingto happen unless you make it happen.

Graeme.

Сообщение: Re: postgres hot-standby questions.
Сообщение: Re: postgres hot-standby questions.