Re: Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused

От Jason DiCioccio
Тема Re: Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Simon,

On Mar 31, 2005 7:29 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> In retrospect, there is a slight timing error between end backup and
> archival of next WAL log. The first-release design for PITR didn't fully
> cover lower traffic situations, so in those cases the timing error
> becomes noticeable. You're not the first to observe this, though only by
> about a month.
>
> I'm considering options for the next release, since major change seems
> to be required to the basic xlog handling mechanisms.

Thank you very much for the info.  Given the situation then, how would
you recommend doing what I'm trying to do?  Or what would be a good
method of doing these online backups?

Would doing 1 base backup a day, keeping a couple of days worth, and
backing up the archive logs as the come in be the best way?  I guess I
was just trying to do the base and WAL backup at the same time and all
at once, which is probably not what it's designed for, as I'm not
figuring out.

Thanks!
-JD-