Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused

От Jason DiCioccio
Тема Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,
  I am having some trouble figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to
be doing to successfully recover from an online backup.  I am not in a
critical situation or anything, simply doing some testing to make sure
that my backup system would work.  Here's the problem:

  I do a 'SELECT pg_start_backup('backup1');', it gives me the usual
successful result.  I then backup (via rsync) the data directory, in
this case /usr/local/pgsql/data.  This goes fine.  I then do a
pg_stop_backup(); and backup my archived WAL directory.  Here's where
the problem seems to occur.

  Should all of the WAL files necessary for restoration not be in the
archive directory after a pg_stop_backup();?  It does not appear that
this is the case, because if I try to restore a database backed up via
the method above, I receive the following errors:

cp: /usr/local/pgsql/archive/00000001.history: No such file or directory
cp: /usr/local/pgsql/archive/000000010000000000000022: No such file or directory
PANIC:  WAL ends before end time of backup dump
Abort trap (core dumped)

  Now, realize that ..0022 was not in the archive directory, and
actually is still not.  However, it seems to be requiring it.  Do I
have to wait for this log to be archived?  Is there a way that I can
force the archival of this WAL log?

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-JD-