Re: massive quotes?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:05:47AM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
> > A whole script containing any number of valid statements must be
> > executable without interpreting the script.

How is that relevant? It's still parseable with parameter placeholders in
place of literal parameters.

> Yes, but executable by what?  You said you are a command liner.  Then
> you will probably want to "execute" the script using psql.  Then the
> proposed solution is fine, because the \beginliteral and \endliteral
> will be interpreted correctly.

Presumably \beginliteral \endliteral would be psql's way of specifying
parameters to ship over as parameters.

> Now, you also said you wanted to use pgAdmin to administer the database.
> Is it able to execute the complete script, or you have to fiddle around
> with the mouse?  If the latter, then there's no point in trying to
> "execute" the script; and I suppose pgAdmin is already capable of taking
> an non-massively-quoted function body and quote it correctly before
> passing the CREATE FUNCTION to the server.

It probably is, but that's not what I was thinking of. I was thinking it
wouldn't have to poke around inside the string at all, it would pass it as an
out-of-band parameter using the new FE protocol.

This helps with DBI too, since you can already do that.

$dbh->do("CREATE FUNCTION foo as ? LANGUAGE SQL", $func);

Is a whole lot cleaner for the front-end to do than trying to quote the
parameters and interpolate them into a query.

--
greg