Re: massive quotes?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:05:47AM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
> >Could the function bodies be shipped over using the new FE protocol as
> >parameters? That would eliminate the quoting and simplify matters for DBI
> >and other drivers as well.

> Oh no, not this discussion again.

:-)

> A whole script containing any number of valid statements must be
> executable without interpreting the script.

Yes, but executable by what?  You said you are a command liner.  Then
you will probably want to "execute" the script using psql.  Then the
proposed solution is fine, because the \beginliteral and \endliteral
will be interpreted correctly.

Now, you also said you wanted to use pgAdmin to administer the database.
Is it able to execute the complete script, or you have to fiddle around
with the mouse?  If the latter, then there's no point in trying to
"execute" the script; and I suppose pgAdmin is already capable of taking
an non-massively-quoted function body and quote it correctly before
passing the CREATE FUNCTION to the server.

"Et put se mouve" (Galileo Galilei)