Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version
Дата
Список pgsql-general

 Rich> My current desktop server/workstation is running version 10.5.
 Rich> I'm configuring a replacement desktop and have installed version
 Rich> 11.1 on it. To copy all databases from the 10.5 version to the
 Rich> 11.1 version I assume that I should do a pg_dumpall on the
 Rich> current host and read in that file on the replacement host. Is
 Rich> this the proper procedure?

The most reliable and preferred procedure is to use the _new_ version's
pg_dumpall, for example by allowing access to the old host from the new
one (possibly using an ssh port forward), or (on OSes that make it easy
to do package installs of multiple versions) to install the new pg_dump
and pg_dumpall on the old system.

Using the old version's pg_dumpall also generally speaking works, but
there may be occasional rough edges.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)