Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible

От Andrew Gierth
Тема Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

 Peter> esp            0x7fbfc15c       0x7fbfc15c

And there we go; the stack is misaligned. (only 4 byte alignment where
16 is expected).

 Peter> eip            0x838bdf2        0x838bdf2

 Peter> 0x0838bdf2 <pg_checksum_page+866>:      movaps 0x20(%esp),%xmm0

MOVAPS is an SSE (not SSE2) instruction; it's enabled by virtue of the
fact that you used -march=pentium3 (the pentium3 supports SSE but not
SSE2). The "A" stands for "aligned"; an unaligned source address causes
an exception. %esp+0x20 is not correctly aligned for the instruction.

GCC defaults to using a 16-byte stack alignment, but it relies on the
caller to align the stack too, so if a GCC-compiled function is called
from code that doesn't align the stack, then this kind of error can
result. I do not know offhand (but I plan to find out) what clang's
default stack alignment on i386 is.

You can tell GCC to realign the stack itself using the -mstackrealign
option.

This problem shows up only with GCC and not with clang because clang
does not attempt to use SSE to vectorize this particular piece of code.
The non-vectorized implementation generated by clang has no special
requirements for stack alignment. But at the end of the day this is not
a problem with PostgreSQL - it would show up with any code compiled with
GCC where the compiler had elected to use SSE instructions for
optimization.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 9.6.12 switchover failing
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 9.6.12 switchover failing