Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com> writes:

> > There's no reason you couldn't write a cron daemon that retrieved its list of
> > jobs from an SQL database. In fact we discussed doing exactly this at my last
> > job. I expect others have thought of the same idea and wouldn't be surprised
> > if it existed by now.
>
> Is there (or would we need) a way to specify access privileges for such
> a daemon in pg_hba.conf, and would that allow controlling the access
> privileges for each job or the user who sets it?  (ISP's would want
> tight controls here.)

Uh, that's not at all what I was picturing when I wrote the description above.
I was picturing a cron daemon just like any other cron daemon except it
happens to be backed by the database instead of a flat file. The privileges
would be specified in tables just like they're currently specified in flat
files (well currently in the directory structure above the flat files
actually).

The main advantage of such a database backed cron daemon would be the possible
integration with other database backed systems. Job status could be viewed on
database-backed web pages, Jobs could be created or deleted from web pages,
failures could automatically create trouble tickets...

--
greg