Re: Can I use PostgreSQL to develop a self-organizing

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Can I use PostgreSQL to develop a self-organizing
Дата
Re: Can I use PostgreSQL to develop a self-organizing  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 15:22, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
> > I also use views to simplify application code by moving
> > complicated queries onto the backend. I wonder what, if any,
>
> Are you referring to Access' tendency to do the joins on the client?

No, I think he doesn't mean move execution to the backend, just lexically
hoisting the complex repeated code out of the front-end code.

A self-organizing materialized view system might be able to use normal
non-materialized views as hints to help it find useful views to materialize.

It also might help the programmer avoid implementing functionally equivalent
but non-identical forms of the same view in different queries, defeating the
automated recognition of similar views.

Materialized views are a godsend for DSS systems, and self-organized
materialized views sound too good to be true. Is this really feasible?
It sounds awfully ambitious considering postgres doesn't even have
materialized views yet.

--
greg

Сообщение: Re: why does count take so long?
Сообщение: Re: why does count take so long?