Re: Pg-Upgrade standbys via rsync... and avoid sending UNlogged data?

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Pg-Upgrade standbys via rsync... and avoid sending UNlogged data?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 12:34:45PM -0500, Jerry Sievers wrote:
>
>> Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> writes:

>> > Of course, I realize right after sending this that you aren't sending
>> > the 5TB. :)
>>
>> Roger that!  Really, the hard link pg-upgrade option and rsync method
>> for standbys is pure beauty :-)
>>
>> We have only the post-analyze and this unlogged data  problem to deal
>> with.
>>
>> The warehouse is our only system with any substantial amount of unlogged
>> data.
>>
>> Reducing post-analyze delay was solved by me here with our groovy
>> threaded AnalyzMaTron.  I can get a >5TB system done in about 45 minutes
>> w/20 threads.
>
> The only thing I can suggest is to document this limitation, if people
> think it is worth it.

+1

A couple sentences right near the rsync piece in pg_upgrade docs would
 do it.

Caveat:UNNLogged data will be unnecessarily transfered via rsync and
then immediately discarded from standbys when the standbys are started
unless those tables are truncated on the master before the upgrade.

--
Jerry Sievers
e: jerry.sievers@comcast.net