Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ron wrote:
> On 09/20/2018 11:22 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, AIX 5.3 has been dead for over 6 years.
> >
> > You really shouldn't be doing any of this, it is just asking for trouble.
> >
> > Why not use a recent AIX with a recent PostgreSQL?
>
> Why do people so blithely and arrogantly assume that DBA can choose what
> hardware and OS version to run his software on?  It's shockingly ignorant
> of the reality of life: you don't control the hardware, or the OS or the
> network or the application.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant, and I tried to help Francesco
as good as I can without an AIX at my hands.

I know from personal experience that you often don't have a choice,
but I believe that the DBA is not just a gofer, she also has a certain
responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is to stand up and
scream when the system is in a condition that threatens the security,
availability and integrity of the data.

And since no man is a prophet in his own land, you can give this
complaint force by referring to external experts.  This is something
the PostgreSQL mailing lists can help with.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3
Сообщение: Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3