Обсуждение: Message-ID: ef4636e12771c35fa79d213b14a51729e1f99c5a.camel@cybertec.at

От
Francesco Vecchio
Дата:
Hi, Laurenz Albe,

I did a test with the truss command connecting it via the pid but it does not give any message.
As for the version of Postgresql, I would like to adopt what you indicate to me but I do not know a website from which to download the objects. I only know www.perzl.org. www.bullfreeware.com and www.oss4aix.com that for AIX 5.3 only make available the version I have adopted.
Unfortunately, I do not have the environment to compile the sources.

Thank you anyway for the help.

Best regards

Francesco

Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Francesco Vecchio wrote:
> I did a test with the truss command connecting it via the pid but it does not give any message.

Then it is probably hung somewhere.

Can you arrach with a debugger and see where?
But if you don't have a build environment, you might not have a
debugger either...

> As for the version of Postgresql, I would like to adopt what you indicate
> to me but I do not know a website from which to download the objects.
> I only know www.perzl.org. www.bullfreeware.com and www.oss4aix.com that
> for AIX 5.3 only make available the version I have adopted.
> Unfortunately, I do not have the environment to compile the sources.

Well, AIX 5.3 has been dead for over 6 years.

You really shouldn't be doing any of this, it is just asking for trouble.

Why not use a recent AIX with a recent PostgreSQL?

If there is a running 9.3 installation on AIX 5.3 somewhere that you have
to work with. upgrade ASAP by pg_dumping it with a recent PostgreSQL
and importing into a new environment.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3

От
Ron
Дата:
Well, AIX 5.3 has been dead for over 6 years.

You really shouldn't be doing any of this, it is just asking for trouble.

Why not use a recent AIX with a recent PostgreSQL?

Why do people so blithely and arrogantly assume that DBA can choose what hardware and OS version to run his software on?  It's shockingly ignorant of the reality of life: you don't control the hardware, or the OS or the network or the application.

Ron wrote:
> On 09/20/2018 11:22 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, AIX 5.3 has been dead for over 6 years.
> >
> > You really shouldn't be doing any of this, it is just asking for trouble.
> >
> > Why not use a recent AIX with a recent PostgreSQL?
>
> Why do people so blithely and arrogantly assume that DBA can choose what
> hardware and OS version to run his software on?  It's shockingly ignorant
> of the reality of life: you don't control the hardware, or the OS or the
> network or the application.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant, and I tried to help Francesco
as good as I can without an AIX at my hands.

I know from personal experience that you often don't have a choice,
but I believe that the DBA is not just a gofer, she also has a certain
responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is to stand up and
scream when the system is in a condition that threatens the security,
availability and integrity of the data.

And since no man is a prophet in his own land, you can give this
complaint force by referring to external experts.  This is something
the PostgreSQL mailing lists can help with.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Problems when initdb on AIX 5.3

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-09-20 19:56:58 -0500, Ron wrote:
> On 09/20/2018 11:22 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, AIX 5.3 has been dead for over 6 years.
> >
> > You really shouldn't be doing any of this, it is just asking for trouble.
> >
> > Why not use a recent AIX with a recent PostgreSQL?
>
> Why do people so blithely and arrogantly assume that DBA can choose what
> hardware and OS version to run his software on?  It's shockingly ignorant of
> the reality of life: *you* don't control the hardware, or the OS or the
> network or the application.

Wishes don't make resource to debug arcane issues on outdated platforms
appear out of thin air.

Greetings,

Andres Freund