Re: Latches with weak memory ordering (Re: max_wal_senders must die)

От Florian Weimer
Тема Re: Latches with weak memory ordering (Re: max_wal_senders must die)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund:

> I was never talking about 'locking the whole cache' - I was talking about
> flushing/fencing it like a "global" read/write barrier would. And "lock
> xchgb/xaddl" does not imply anything for other cachelines but its own.

My understanding is that once you've seen the result of an atomic
operation on i386 and amd64, you are guaranteed to observe all prior
writes performed by the thread which did the atomic operation, too.
Explicit fencing is only necessary if you need synchronization without
atomic operations.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99