Re: [INTERFACES] Character mode forms designer

От James Olin Oden
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Character mode forms designer
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
> Unless I have somehow missed it, I don't recall that there is any software
> currently available to allow the development of character mode applications
> which connect to a PostgreSQL backend.
>
> However, as the majority of messages to this list concern "pretty"
> interfaces, (e.g. pgaccess, pgadmin) I realised it would be worthwhile
> checking if others would be interested in this kind of product, or if I am
> becoming evermore the minority in preferring terminal use to that wretched
> mouse thing. :)

Well, I like both worlds.  Each has its place.  GUI is not the answer
everwhere.  Though, I think a bigger threat to the typical terminal frontends is
not GUI but HTML which can run on GUI or anything.  Beleive me, though, there
are plenty of shops that still have some sort of vertical app that is basically
a terminal application.  The users may have GUI based workstations, but their
company's bread and butter application is accessed via some sort of Terminal
emulation package (like BLAST for instance).

I used to work for a communications company called BLAST (thus the advertisement
above), and a year ago we were still selling plenty of product for terminal
emulation purposes (though filetransfer is really there bag).  Anyway, my only
point is that character based solutions are still viable, just not as
common...james